Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Ignorance Is Bliss

Once you have become aware of a certain problem in society, are you morally responsible for now dealing with that issue?

No. I do not think it is an individual's responsibility for some things. How can someone do anything about an issue like the conditions of a slaughter house? So they stop eating hamburgers, what is that going to accomplish? A person that stops condoning the problem is not going to make a difference from all the people that don't care or don't know. But then the question arises is it now your responsibility to tell everyone? I think that if you have the power to make a difference or have a chance to allow people to make a decision between a right and a wrong then you should do it. I am somewhat contradicting myself, but when I say no, it is not an individual's responsibility to dealing with an issue, I mean that they are not responsible for things like changing the environments of a slaughter house. It is the job of the manager, or someone that has the power to change it, and I think that if you are that person, you are morally responsible for dealing with that issue. Some people think that it is the worst job on earth, but the workers do not have the power to change it, and they only work there because it is probably the only place that they can work. They may not have a choice.

No comments: